Monday, March 2, 2015

Are My Students Ready for the PARCC?

With my students only a few days away from the PARCC assessment, I should have clear, confident feelings with regard to their readiness; because by this point, how can’t they be ready? I have toiled over preparing lessons, finding resources, and designing assessments that would enhance learning experiences and promote growth and achievement. I have reflected on my practices and aspired to use our new 1:1 learning initiative as the cornerstone of my student-centered learning environment; designed to promote authentic problem solving, collaboration, and critical thinking skills. My goals have always been to engage the hearts and minds of students, unleash creativity, and challenge them to apply knowledge in new and innovative ways. This is what school is supposed to be about. But...will they be ready for the PARCC?

Never in my career have I been so sure- and unsure- about my students’ preparedness than I am at this moment. I am confident that they have the skills and knowledge to continue to achieve amazing things in my math class and beyond. I know they have cultivated a mindset built on perseverance and growth. A mindset they will be able to apply to any obstacle or failure they may encounter in life, gaining something meaningful out of each experience. My students have met just about every challenge I have thrown at them- smashing my high expectations while working through difficult obstacles and concepts. I have done my best to prepare them for high school, college, their future careers, and life. But will they be ready for the PARCC?

I find it interesting that faced with a test that is supposedly built upon- and even named for- these important skills we have worked so hard to develop, that I am anxious like never before. Anxious not for how their performance will affect me or my SGP score; I don’t need a test to let me know that I am an effective teacher. I am anxious and disappointed in how this process is making my students feel about themselves as learners. At a time of the year where I am usually in awe of their growth and rising confidence, I’ve noticed that many of them are more stressed and worried than ever. Instead of focusing exclusively on building deeper understanding of concepts, they are taking practice tests, learning how to navigate the computer-based environment, and practicing inputting their answers into an unfamiliar equation editor. With each experience designed to make them more comfortable and confident going into next week, my students are talking less about the math and more about the test.

So are my students ready for the PARCC? If I have achieved my true intended learning outcomes, it won’t really matter. What matters is that I am using this opportunity to test my abilities, reflect on my craft, and model perseverance, learning, and growth for my students. What matters is that they are prepared and inspired for what life has to offer- both in and out of school. What matters is that they are too strong to let their confidence and belief in themselves be defined by this or any other test.

No comments:

Post a Comment